The Green Smoothies Diet by Robyn Openshaw
The Green Smoothie Diet by Robyn Openshaw. Published by Ulysses Press.
Are you familiar with The Green Smoothie Girl? She wrote this book. This is a wonderfully written book. Full of wonderful recipes and 38 pages of testimonies (my favorite part of any health related book).
Ch 1 Introduction- Awesome! Written by a mother of 4. I love reading books written by normal everyday women like me.
Ch 2 My Story- If you have been reading my blog and my reviews for a while you know my favorite part of a book is hearing how a person got around to making a huge lifestyle change. I loved how Robyn got her start with the green smoothie diet.
Ch 3 What I Did That Saved My Family’s Health
Ch 4 Why Green Foods
- Chlorophyll and blood building properties
- Unparalleled nutritional profile
Ch 5 Which Greens and Why?
- Beet greens
- Bok choy
- Broccoli rabe
- Collard greens
- Dandelion greens
- Lettuce and salad greens
- Mustard greens
- Turnip greens
- Wild greens
Ch 6 Why Green Smoothies?
- You’re going to eat amazingly nutritious green food you haven’t been eating, maybe ever.
- You don’t have to use high-fat, chemical-laden salad dressings to “get it down.”
- You will be living the way God or nature has always intended you to eat, similar to the way animals related to humans eat.
- A Blendtec Total Blender breaks down walls of cellulose better than your teeth can, making nutrition immediately available and predigested.
- Green smoothie prep is the highest-impact task you can undertake in your kitchen: the highest and best use of your time.
- You get more live enzymes in blended green drinks than in any other food.
- Smoothies retain all the fiber in the plant, without massive cleanup, compared to juicing.
- Green Smoothies are fast to prepare and fast to eat.
- You have a lower impact on the planet and you are eating lower on the food chain.
- Green smoothies actually taste good- almost anyone will drink them, including the vegetable-phobic and the very young.
Ch 7 How Green Smoothies Change Lives
Ch 8 Your First Challenge: A Quart a Day
- What Tools Do I Need?
- How DO I Drink a Green Smoothie?
Ch 9 Your Second Challenge: Be a Green Smoothie Evangelist
Ten Tips for Helping Kids Go Green
- Start with mostly fruit smoothies, or naturally sweeten them.
- Come up with a great name for your smoothies, and make the whole endeavor fun.
- Get your child off sugar.
- Educate your child about what’s in it for her by starting a green smoothie habit.
- Get your child’s pint in: Two sittings instead of one.
- Require raw food (like green smoothie) before the child eats other things, being firm and consistent (never bed and plead).
- Consider a reward system (only if your child is resistant and other efforts have failed).
- Make green smoothies into popsicles
- Make green smoothies when kids aren’t watching.
- Add lots of berries or dark colors and put smoothie in a pretty glass.
Ch 10 Ten Tips to Save Money as a GreenSmoothieGirl (or Guy)
- Learn to Garden
- Invest in a Large Freezer
- Harvest Edible Weeds
- Buy In Bulk
- Shop at Health Food Stores
- Freeze Fresh Fruit
- Freeze Fresh Greens
- Buy Frozen Spinach (I personally wouldn’t use frozen spinach- it has been cooked)
- Support Local Growers
- Get to know the smaller markets in your area
Ch 11 Tips for Buying and Storing Greens and Fruit
- Storing greens
- Selecting and storing fruit
Ch 12 Grow Your Own Greens
- Why Garden?
- What you’ll need
- What if I have no space?
- What should I grow?
- How do I grow greens?
- What about organic produce?
- Why should I consider square-foot gardening?
- How do I keep the pests away without using chemicals?
- How can I get green produce in the winter?
- How do I compost?
- Which are the easiest green smoothie ingredients to grow?
Ch 13 The Green Smoothie Diet
- Three-Day Green Fast (Detox)
- Thirty Day Fat Burner Cleanse (Weight Loss)
- Green Smoothie for Life (Permanent Lifestyle Change)
- What to Do about a Cleansing Reaction
Ch 14 Making Smoothies
- Fruits for Green Smoothies
- Superfood Additions for Smoothies
- List of Superfood Additions
- Sweeteners for Smoothies and Sugar Restrictions
Ch 15 Recipes
- Robyn’s Green Smoothie Template Recipe
- Aloe and Apple
- Asian Green Smoothie
- Beet Blast
- Blended Salad
- Butterhead Brew
- Broccoli Blitz
- Cabbage Cool-Aid
- Chia Choice
- Dandelion Delight
- Endive Energy Express
- Glorious Green leaf
- Grapefruit Cilantro Booster
- Key Lime Broccosprout Blend
- Kiwi Banana Krush
- Latin Green Smoothie
- Mango Meltaway
- One Really Grape Smoothie
- Mixed Green Maca Madness
- Red Leaf Rocks
- Romaine Rounder
- Smooth Sunflower
- Sweet Beet Slam
The book ends with 2 great appendixes: FAQ’s: Dear GreenSmoothieGirl and Testimonies.
I would recommend this book to anyone wanting to get started with green smoothies.